I love being a member of the FoodBuzz Tastemaker Program, I get to try some great products!!!
When they offered the chance to try Kikkoman Kara-Áge Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix, I jumped at the chance. I received my free sample not too long ago and have been dying to experiment with it. I went to the Kikkoman website and found a recipe for Easy General Tso's Chicken, I could not wait to try it!!!
I love cooking with fresh ginger!!!
Little tip, it is much easier to peel ginger with a teaspoon, that way you can get into all the nooks and crannies.
I began by combining 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1 clove garlic, minced
I cut my chicken thighs into 1-inch square pieces and then placed the chicken and 1 pouch Kikkoman Kara-Áge Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix in plastic bag. I gave the bag a good shake or two to coat the chicken.
I heated some grape-seed oil in my pan and when hot, fried the coated chicken pieces a batch at a time. I was careful not to add too many pieces in at one time as it reduces the oil temperature too fast and can lead to soggy chicken.
After about 3 minutes, I turned each pieces of chicken.
When they were brown on each side, I removed them to a paper towel to drain. After all the chicken was cooked, I drained all but about 1 teaspoon of the oil from the pan. I returned the chicken pieces to the pan and added the corn syrup mixture. I stirred for about 2 minutes, until the sauce was thickened and all the chicken was coated. I placed a heaping scoop of the General Tso's Chicken on a bed of rice and sprinkled with some sesame seeds. YUM!!!! Best part, I still have one pouch of the Kikkoman Kara-Áge Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix left. I may try this again OR something new.
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless thighs
1 pouch Kikkoman Kara-Áge Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix
Vegetable oil for frying
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. In a bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper and garlic.
2. Rinse chicken and cut into 1-inch square pieces. Place chicken and kara-áge in a sealable plastic bag and shake to coat chicken.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In batches, add chicken and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
4. Drain off all but 1 teaspoon oil from skillet. Return all the chicken to the skillet, add corn syrup mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.